1. Many insurers think events involving cycling are high-risk and apply unfair conditions or exclusions to cycling-related claims.
  2. Major sporting federations provide group personal insurance policies which limit the amounts they can pay out.
  3. Unless your Super Fund or Personal Insurance company has specifically underwritten your cycling activity, you may not have the cover you think you do.

Understand what you have

This table is not an extensive ‘features and benefits’ list, but it is a valuable starting point only.
*Click here for a Summary of Insurance for Cycling Australia
**Click here for a Summary of Insurance for Triathlon Australia
***Research conducted by King of the Mountain Financial Advice 2016, where participating in an event includes a competitive cycling element.

KOM Financial Advice was formed to address the unique Income Protection (IP) and Total & Permanent Disability (TPD) issues cyclists and triathletes may face.

We can help by:

  • recommending an insurer that will provide cover for your cycling or triathlon races, training and commuting AND cover you for any injury, illness, disease or accident that prevents you from working. It’s true, comprehensive cover; and
  • working with you to you determine the cover you actually need, or just implement the level you want.

We will ensure that your activities are underwritten, and therefore approved, and help you get the right amount of cover. We will give you certainty.


If you participate in an event that:

  • requires any sort one-day or annual licence;
  • is timed;
  • covers a specific distance;
  • allocates you a finishing position; or
  • is considered a form of competition (despite you being competitive or not);

and you crash, then you’re at risk of having your Superannuation Insurance or Personal Insurance claim denied because of a little-known ‘competitive cycling’ exclusion that almost all insurers have. This can include where you have an accident training for an event or commuting too.

We believe that it’s essential to hold your designated sporting federation’s membership (such as Cycling Australia or Triathlon Australia) because it covers you for Public Liability - in case you injure someone else – and because they have other features too.

However, most of these federations have Group Personal Accident Insurance policies that only cover the participant’s income up to a maximum of between $500pw and $700pw (depending on the organisation), for a period of 12 months. If your financial responsibilities require more than the default cover, or if the accident is serious and you need to be covered potentially for the rest of your working life, you could be left drastically under-insured.

Furthermore, they’re accident-only policies, meaning that you need to have an accident or injury relating to the activity, otherwise you can’t claim.

It’s not good enough to have insurance. You need to know what your insurance does and doesn’t let you do and how to change it if it doesn’t suit your needs. You can make choices, but can you understand the fine print?

What does this mean in actual dollars?

Our recommendations aim to pay income protection up to 80% of one’s actual wage and continue to pay until age 70 years.

*Based on comparing Cycling Australia and Triathlon Australia's maximum payable amount under their respective 'Loss of Income' benefits.
**Research conducted by King of the Mountain Financial Advice 2016, where participating in an event includes a competitive cycling element.

Our recommended insurance policies can also pay a lump sum upon breaking various bones, such as the collarbone (1.5 times your monthly benefit) or femur (3 times your monthly benefit).

In each instance, the participant may be eligible for the default income protection benefit after serving their federation's waiting period.
*This benefit replicates a multiple of one's monthly income protection benefit however, it does not require the participant to have any time off work at all. Should the participant be unable to work after the multiple of one's monthly benefit has expired, they may be entitled to claim their normal monthly income protection benefit also.
**Research conducted by King of the Mountain Financial Advice 2016, where participating in an event includes a competitive cycling element.

What about if it’s permanent?

Importantly, many sporting federations can only provide up to a maximum payment of $100,000 if you suffer a Total & Permanent Disability (TPD) event, and it needs to relate to their sport. If you need more than this – remember, you’d be totally disabled and forever - or want to be covered for any injury, illness, disease or accident that renders you TPD, rather than those just from your chosen sport, you can apply to be covered up to $3,000,000, and maybe even more if you need it, through KOM Financial Advice.

We’re here to help you get the cover you need.